Monday, August 08, 2011

{folk fest 2011}

i have one sunburn on my right shoulder. it is the size of a coffee coaster, and it doesn't hurt. i don't understand it, but i'm glad that my coffee coaster sunburn is located there, and not on my face. and, considering the fact that all i did this weekend was sit in the hot sun, i guess i should even consider myself lucky.



i'm descending like a queen from the adrenaline high that is a full weekend of live music. i don't really understand how everyone in the world doesn't feel like they've been hit by a bolt of crazy lightning at the  prospect of a music festival. i spent the weekend running from stage to stage, squeezing into the front row, taking excessive amounts of crappy cell phone pictures, examining and reexamining my folk fest schedule, and digging my fingernails into my friends' knees when a familiar song was played. those unlucky enough to be present with me through all of this spent the weekend being a little bit ignored and saying things like, "it's ok, suzy. we'll get there soon. you'll only miss, like, one song." and "i don't know who this even is."


to you, my friends, i am sorry. when it comes to live music, i will quote chuck norris and say, "i am serious...as a heart attack." i'm as serious as that guy karate chopping the dancing lady in this picture i took at the esl show:

anyway. the point is completely not that. the point is that it was a fantastic weekend and i am happy as a clam but tired as, probably, a mountain climber. 
and kind of, don't judge me, dreading going downtown today. because all of the tents will be gone and all of the musicians will be on airplanes to other places. and downtown will be all business people and hot dog stands again. 





























so, i guess, until next year, i'll just listen to my favourites from this year's folk fest on grooveshark. here's a wee playlist for you.
{asperuusual, you'll have to click through if you're an email or reader subscriber.}



16 comments:

Gale said...

I'm the same when it comes to live music festivals! I haven't been to one yet this summer and I don't know how I'm even still standing. Music is my lifeline. Thanks for the new playlist for this monday:P

Brandi said...

My heart melts for Andrew Bird and Coeur De Pirate. I am going to Outside Lands music festival on Friday so I completely understand how you feel!!

Anonymous said...

I love music festivals! Even if you don't know the music, it's just such a great environment. I'm so glad you had a great time! I'm sorry about your sunburn, but you're lucky it doesn't hurt!

Anonymous said...

I love live music, and I get very excited when I find new bands to listen to. I listened to two of these songs and loved them, soon I will listen to the other ones too.

Kiersten said...

I'm sorry I'm so musically challenged. I'll try harder next time!

Suzy Krause said...

gale! you need to go to one before summer ends! i know you know this.

brandi: out of curiosity i looked up the outside lands fest on google--you are going to a RIDICULOUS one! oh my goodness i'm so jealous. the shins? the decemberists? ok go? the list just keeps GOING. i'm so jealous.

debbie: i agree--one of the best parts of a festival is the atmosphere. who can be in a bad mood during a music festival? :D

juliette: i'm glad you like them. :) they're fantastic bands...

kiersten! you were GREAT. i was just happy you came. :)

Brandi said...

I know, I am one lucky girl!!! I can't wait for Friday to get here :)

Suzy Krause said...

no doubt. you'll have to post about it after. :)

kalie brynn. said...

Oh wow, how fun! I love that you got to have such a great time! I really really really like all the different people who go to them, all coming out of the woodwork and whatnot. Oh, and the music is GREAT, And the food is the bad-good kind that is so delicious and bad. Mmm.

Suzy Krause said...

oh yes. i ate many a mini-doughnut this weekend. :D and definitely got in a good amount of people-watching...

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Oh my gosh how fun, I love going to stuff like this!

Suzy Krause said...

meeee too! {obviously, haha} :)

Jamie said...

I'm glad you had such a great time, and that your sunburn isn't even that bad! =] I love songs that are about me (Jamie by Weezer, for example). I enjoy Suzie I love You in your playlist. =]

Suzy Krause said...

hhaa, jamie! i love that you noticed that. :) i was so excited when i heard it. i'm such a nerd. :D

Jen said...

I've never been to that folk festival, but I think I'd love to go. one day. if I ever make it back to Regina. glad you had fun!!!

Suzy Krause said...

jen. ya neeeed to. it's so good.