Friday, March 23, 2012

{how to be a good library patron}

when i was three, i wanted to be a gardener when i grew up. more specifically, i wanted to be my mom's gardener and i wanted to live at home forever and just garden all the time--mostly because i liked the taste of dirt on carrots so much, and shucking corn with the radio blaring was, i thought, a great way to spend an afternoon.

when i turned five and went to kindergarten, my affections fled the garden and made their home in the school library. so much so, in fact, that i told my mom that i wanted to take my bed to school, and that i was actually going to be a librarian when i grew up {because i thought the librarian's job was to read ALL THE BOOKS}. {so much for living at home forever.}

much to your surprise, my point is not that i'm a big geek; my point is that it's almost 20 years later and i still love the library almost enough to bring my bed there. oh wait. maybe my point is that i'm a big geek then.

so.

i'm not a librarian. my passions changed again in grade 3 when i realized that as much as i loved reading, i maybe loved writing even a little more, and i decided that i wanted to be an author. and when people questioned me on the impracticality of writing for a living, i just answered that i'd be a librarian on the side. so, author/librarian. life goal. done. and all my friends wanted to be veterinarians.

anyway, i'm not either of those things: i'm a piano teacher. which is also good. but! i have a good friend who is a librarian, so i'm living that longtime dream vicariously through her. and today, to make a long ramble short, she is here with some tips on how to be a good library patron {as stated above}.

13 comments:

larisaa said...

A piano teacher?! Love. A librarian would be pretty great though, too.

JRose said...

Please Please Please do a post on your favorite books! Or book reviews! I bet you would have great ones :)

Caitlin said...

I've thought of being a librarian before too! So neat. I'm going to watch that video now, I'm sure it's fabulous because Librarians are pretty awesome.

Suzy Krause said...

yes ma'am. both good jobs. my 12 year-old self would be pleased, i think, either way. :)

Suzy Krause said...

me, or hannah? or both? or EVERYBODY?
i do like a good book. a lot. :)

Suzy Krause said...

AND BECAUSE HANNAH IS PRETTY AWESOME.

Suzy Krause said...

oh garsh shucks! thanks. :)

Jen Glen said...

I discovered there's a job at the library called a porter and it would pretty much be the most ideal job for me ever. In fact, I even applied for it and in fact, I pretty much just wanted to write on my resume, "Trust me. Just hire me. I am the most perfect person for this job." Good thing I never heard back from them though b/c I found out that porters usually only work evenings and weekends. (sigh). Would have been great if I wasn't married. (no child at that time.)

Suzy Krause said...

ooh, what do porters DO? put books away? read them?

Jessica said...

Hannah! YES!!!! I'm a librarian too and everything she said is so right on the money!

My personal library pet peeves are 1) people that come in 5 minutes before we close to argue about a problem or to demand we search for some random item and 2) People that want to argue about their fines. It's always the people with the teeniest finds that are the most argumentative. "45 cents?! That's outrageous! I always return things on time! How could this possibly have happened?!" I usually respond with "If you're going to get so upset over such a small amount I'll just clear it." They usually say something like "Oh, I'm not upset...." and then they pay! Oh libraries.

Suzy Krause said...

hahahaha people are RIDICULOUS. it's sad that library people are ridiculous though, because like hannah said: it's a free service! bah.

Hannah Leanne said...

OMG! I'm totally doing a series of videos on my favorite books. JRose, you are prophetic.

Hannah Leanne said...

OMG. I'm totally doing a series of book review videos! JRose. You are prophetic.