Thursday, April 26, 2012

{cork journal}

i read something today. i read that, and i quote, "regular journaling strengthens immune cells, called T-lymphocytes. Other research indicates that journaling decreases the symptoms of asthma and rheumatoid arthritis. Pennebaker believes that writing about stressful events helps you come to terms with them, thus reducing the impact of these stressors on your physical health." {source}

 this is very good news because i like writing and i can always use some extra t-lymphocytes in my life. i wonder if blogging does the same thing? in either case, i decided yesterday that i needed a pen and some paper in my life once more. and then i decided that my journal needed to fulfill a short list of requirements {interesting looking, some sort of closure, pretty pages, flexible spine, under 5 bucks, etc}, and promptly became discouraged in my journal search.

the ones that had closures were 20 bucks, the ones that were $3 were ugly, the ones that had pretty pages had boring outsides, etc.

 boo and hiss to the journal makers!

 so i gathered some supplies and a friend, and got right to work making my own. i decided i wanted a journal with a cork front so that i could pin notes and pictures to it when i got board of it. we stuck paisley in the corner {she was fine with it} and began cutting and gluing.
Photobucket
it's pretty self-explanatory. cut, glue, and so on. Photobucket
and so on. Photobucket and so forth? Photobucket cork board is dirt cheap and so were these cheapy notebooks we found in the clearance bin. the whole thing ended up costing about 5 bucks. {and aren't those thumbtacks the sweetest things? i can attach notes and pictures and food...you know, whatevs.}Photobucket what is better than dirt cheap and exactly what you wanted? Photobucket now, if you don't mind, i need to bulk up on t-lymphocytes. Photobucket

19 comments:

Jen Glen said...

Do the cute little button/brads actually keep it closed?

Mama Milly said...

Very nice!
I saw an idea on a blog I love to put cork on the inside covers of your 'home management binder' to keep things like temporary notes, take-out menus...etc...I keep meaning to make that!
Enjoy your new journal!

Unknown said...

how smart of you. I do that a lot too. If you can't find something you like, make it.

Suzy Krause said...

they're thumbtacks--and they absolutely do.

Suzy Krause said...

ooh, that's a good idea too. good old cork!

Suzy Krause said...

it's a good solution. i've been doing it more and more because, you know, why not?

Meg said...

I like this even better now knowing they aren't buttons but thumbtacks! so cool!

Suzy Marie said...

Endless talent! Also...I've always wanted to be able to sit the way your friend is sitting there. My foot just will not stay on my leg.

Caitlin said...

Love it! Never would've thought to add cork. I agree at the pitiful selection of pre made journals.

Megs said...

That is BE-AWESOME!!!! (Be-awesome= Beyond + Awesome, which is super dorky).

I so want to make my own!!

MySpecialAgent said...

I thought the cover was pretty to begin with. But I like your make-over better. Clever!

Suzy Krause said...

haha well thanks!

Suzy Krause said...

haha, practise makes perfect...
:)

Suzy Krause said...

for real. who are these journal people anyway?

Suzy Krause said...

ooh, do it! and post it on your blog so i can see!

Suzy Krause said...

i liked the original cover too; i had a hard time covering it up. but i'm over it now. :)

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

I've never seen a cork journal before, but now I'm convinced I need this in my life!

Suzy Krause said...

you really do!!!

anna said...

i love your journal! i made my own too. well... i made the cover of it. i'm a big fan and advocate of the ACTUAL written word. as in on paper with a pen or pencil. in my opinion, there's just something about it that matters so much more than anything that could ever be written with a key board...