Tuesday, January 15, 2013

{awards and stuff}

Photobucket I woke up this morning with the flu, so it's 10 something AM and I'm sitting here in my pyjamas hardcore glaring at my coffee because I want it so bad but every sip turns my stomach like a washing machine on the hurricane cycle. The only reason I'm not going back to bed is that I'm waiting to find out who made the shortlist in the Canadian Weblog Awards.

In my high school growing up, we had this awards ceremony at the end of every year called Colour Night, and it was basically my most and least favourite night of the year. Most before, least after.

It started in grade seven. I went to my first ever Colour Night, thinking that I might get an award. For my part in the school play, for being a nice person, for my good grades, for having a good attitude during volleyball games, I don't know. Something. My class had 17 kids in it, the grade above me had 6. Chances seemed good. And what 12 year-old doesn't want a trophy?

But, you know, the athletics awards only went to the kids who were actually athletic, and even though I was pulling off 90s on my tests, there were these two girls and one guy who were just that much more studious, and the nice person award went to my sister and the drama awards went to the older kids who actually had speaking parts.

I wasn't totally discouraged. Next year, probably.

But I went through the whole of high school going to every single Colour Night and never getting called up on the stage once except for a participation medal here or there. Which was fair enough since I completely gave up on even trying partway through grade 10. My volleyball coach told me I sucked and my baseball coach told my mom I sucked and my basketball coach didn't put me on the court even once the whole season, and I submitted a yearbook cover but they used someone else's and I completely choked on the night of the school play, and my grades went down like a sunken ship and even though I tried to be a nice person, they kept giving that award to my sister.

{She seriously is a nice person, though. DESERVING.}

I'm not whining, because it's not a big deal; I have since learned that recognition and praise from others isn't the most important. It isn't even important at all if you're not living your life in pursuit of it, and if you understand what actually gives your life value and meaning.

However.

They are still fun to get. Plus they let you know when you're on the right track in some area or another. Not a bad thing.

The results just came in. Yes. Made the list. 

Going to bed.

25 comments:

Mama Milly said...

You deserve an award for all sorts of things, this blog only being one of them. Being a nice person, inspiring others, making me laugh, being yourself...I could go on and on!

Unknown said...

AHHH...you made the short list not once, not even twice, but THREE TIMES!!!!! That's so exciting!!!

Caitlin said...

Woohoo! Totally know the feeling of anticipation, I'm so happy you made it!

Cheryl. said...

3 times!!! Not just once!! Congrats. :)

Anonymous said...

congratulations :)

Sarah Rooftops said...

Congratulations! And I hope you feel better soon. x

MySpecialAgent said...

Congratulations!
Feel better, please.

Unknown said...

Congrats!

mom said...

Congratulations sweetie!We are so proud of and excited for you...but just so you know we are always proud of you! I remember a lot of piano awards that you worked so hard for and they were alot more valuable than any school award so never forget the amazing things you acomplished in highschool. luv u biggest!

Suzy Krause said...

hahaa oh garsh. YOU deserve the encourager of the year award. :)

Suzy Krause said...

it is, isn't it? haha. it makes up for the colour night dissapointments. :)

Suzy Krause said...

anticipation is just the funnest thing ever. :) even when you've ordered something little in the mail and you're waiting for it... haha

Suzy Krause said...

thanks cheryl! ps: start blogging again? :)

Suzy Krause said...

thanks petra! :D

Suzy Krause said...

thanks sarah! i spent allllllll day yesterday in bed, but i am up and at em again now. well. a bit dizzy, but other than that... :)

Suzy Krause said...

haha, thank you! i do, mostly! :) thank goodness that the 24 hour flu is only 24 hours long!

Suzy Krause said...

thanks hailey! :)

Suzy Krause said...

haha, well thanks mom. :) love you too!

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh mannn.. We had Colour Night too and I have similar feelings towards it. I was the "athletic kid" so I always thought I would get all of the athlete awards but I always ended up disapointed too! haha..oh high school!

- Erika

Suzy Krause said...

really???? i'd have thought you'd cleaned up the awards. in high school, i always thought you were just that girl who was perfect at everything. crazy. crazy shaunavon.

Anonymous said...

It's so funny how we think of ourselves and how other people think of us. It kind of weirds me out when I think about it too much! haha

- Erika

Suzy Krause said...

so true. ugh. i cringe and get all squirmy when i think about it. especially when i think about high school. haha.

Anonymous said...

I'll have all my fingers crossed. You are so deserving of a win!

Anonymous said...

I will have all my fingers crossed. You are so deserving of a win.

Suzy Krause said...

thank you sarah!!!! so sweet. :)