Tuesday, July 02, 2013

{tv me}

So, I don't know if you remember this blog post from almost exactly a year ago (give or take 12 days). If you don't, you could go back and read it so that today's makes sense. 

Long story short, the cable people did call back again. They offered me a little spot on a weekly entertainment show talking about live music and upcoming shows. And, like I promised, I said yes even though I still felt vastly under-qualified. 

I went for coffee with the host and she reassured me that everything would be fine, "As long as you stop doing that with your hair." I let a twisted strand of hair drop from between my fingers, folded my hands in my lap and nodded dumbly. Yikes.
 photo IMG_4122_zps8e2ad970.jpg As expected, the first few tapings were completely jurassic-shark-tornado-dentist terrifying for me. I shook and stuttered and said dumb things, played with my hair too much and didn't know what to do with my hands. I watched my first show with my parents in their hotel room one Thursday night when they were in town and found myself apologizing for my awkwardness over and over and saying, "I'll get better...I hope." It's amazing how many subconscious tics a person can have, how fast you can get talking when you're nervous, how hard it is to remember how you usually hold your mouth in between sentences.  photo IMG_4121_zpsefc07411.jpg But at some point in there, I guess I just got used to things. I got used to the other people in the studio audience, and I got used to the mic and the cameras and the teleprompter, and I got used to hearing my recorded voice in front of other people (the ultimate in cringeworthy experiences, usually).

And the point after getting used to things is actually enjoying them.
 photo IMG_4361_zps4d5c399c.png I actually started to look forward to the green room meetings with that day's guests and meeting new people and getting constructive criticism and working on a new "skill" that I didn't really ever see myself needing or using, but which is pretty dang fun. I write my own script now and compile my own video clips, usually minutes before actually rushing downtown to the taping.

Anyway, we just wrapped up Season 1 last Wednesday, and the producer has offered me my very own half hour show all about live music. I don't know if I'll go for it, just because it seems like quite a big commitment, but at least if I say no, it won't be out of fear or whatever. Because fear is a stupid motivation for anything. The only thing fear should motivate you to do is run away from knives and sharks. photo IMG_4364_zps528645b0.png

25 comments:

Unknown said...

This is FANTASTIC!!!!! Can I watch this anywhere even though I'm not a "local"? Is this fabulous production on the internet?!?! It should be if it's not. Because you have people who love you all over the world and they want to share the joy of your success too!!!

Holly Knitlightly said...

!!!!!!! this is awesome. & your own half hour show? DUDE. Be proud that you were offered that! Even if you decide not to do it. That's freaking awesome. You are awesome.

Caitlin said...

OMG SUZY. This is so freaking awesome! YOU ARE AWESOME.

erin e flynn said...

Awesome!!! Are their YouTube clips anywhere? I wanna watch!
I think everyone is super-awkward at first in front of a camera. I tried making a vlog, and deleted it. So awkward. haha

Suzy Krause said...

Hahaha Crystal I love you. It's not actually on the internet! Just on cable here in Saskatchewan. Little beans. :) (Which I'm so okay with!)

Suzy Krause said...

Aw garsh. Thanks Holly. :) I suppose it's a cool thing to have on my imaginary "life" resume?

Suzy Krause said...

Hahaha, thanks Caitlin!! I think YOU ARE AWESOME too. :)

Suzy Krause said...

I can't vlog to save my LIFE. It's ridiculous. That was the basis for me saying no to this at first. I was like, if I can't talk into a camera in a room by myself, how am I going to do it in a room full of strangers?

But.

And nope, no YouTube clips! (Which I'm pretty okay with.) I think next season might be more available online, but by then I'll hopefully be a tad bit more polished... ;)

MySpecialAgent said...

I'd have probably looked at the camera and froze in fear until they cut to commercial and some poor intern had to cart me off.
You're awesome. You should go for the half-hour slot.

Mich said...

This is soo amazing Suzy!!! You should be super proud of yourself!!!

Nova said...

What the fuck, go for it!!!!!!!!!!! Don't not take an opportunity like that, you wiener. :)

That being said, obviously I don't know every nuance and aspect of the job and your life so it's none of my business haha. But still. Neato.

Suzy Krause said...

Oh man. I was so afraid of having that happen--especially since for the first 10 or so tapings, there was no script and it was all taped live-to-air! ACK. I was so thankful when the format changed just enough that they let me write up a script for myself and use a teleprompter!

And thanks for the vote of confidence. You're awesome.

Suzy Krause said...

Aw, you're sweet. Thanks, Mich. :)

Suzy Krause said...

I laughed out loud at your comment. "Don't not take an opportunity like that, you wiener." I need someone like you living down the street so I can walk over and say, "Should I do this or no?"
And it's true; I keep waffling on it. I'm like, this is kind of a cool opportunity...but then I'm trying to weigh other responsibilities in and figure out what's the best thing and stuff. You know. Like grown-ups do. Ha.

Jen Glen said...

Okay, I seriously have to get Access now. And you having your own show?! That's one step closer to you having your own reality TV show...it's going to happen, just you wait. ESPECIALLY if you do the show. So, you HAVE TO DO THE SHOW! And then I will get Access, and watch you and cheer for you. I'm so proud of you, Suzy.

Anonymous said...

Oh! That is just so exciting.
I really hope you take the show. I mean, after all the to-ing and fro-ing and weighing everything up. And then I hope that they put it on the internet as well.

Suzy Krause said...

you are way too funny. i feel like if i had my own reality tv show, there would be way too many episodes of just me taking a walk and then eating stuff.

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha, well i'll keep you posted, for sure! :)

Amy M. said...

Wow! Congrats Suzy! What an awesome job! And I like the cute studio! This might be a silly question but do you still teach piano too? You seem crazy busy!

Suzy Krause said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzy Krause said...

The studio is SO cute. It was actually designed by my friend Justine, who is amazing at that sort of thing, and at everything else.

And yep, I still teach piano. I actually have like 9 jobs now, or something like that. It's good, because I'm never, ever bored. And each job offers me a different creative outlet and challenges me in a different way! :)

Jannaya said...

That's so exciting, Suzy! I think you'd be great at this. You'll have to post a link if this becomes available online! If you do decide to go for the half-hour spot, you'll be awesome at it!

Jen Wilson said...

HOLY CRAP, WOMAN! This is awesome!!!!!! So proud of you!!! What time/channel can I find you on? And how did I know nothing about this? (Probably because I suck at blog reading.)

Suzy Krause said...

aw, thanks jannaya! :) i'll definitely let you know if it's ever online. :)

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha, well, you knew nothing about it because this is the first i've mentioned it. even in real life, most people didn't know about it. it was my little secret. :D

and we're on summer break! so you can't find me anywhere at the moment...but i'll be back in the fall. i'll keep you posted. :)