Thursday, January 02, 2014

{the writing on the wall}

 photo 577781E0-3717-44E1-84C4-02AA8D412609_zpspxnbdz2y.jpg
One day, I was looking at a white wall in one of the rooms in our little house. It looked boring, which made me feel sorry for it. I thought I should maybe hang a picture on it. I thought it needed wallpaper. I thought, "What a massive canvas..." I thought, "I could draw on that." Because isn't that what wallpaper is, anyway? Letting someone else draw all over your walls?

So that was settled.

I waffled for a few months about what, exactly, to draw on the Boring Wall, until I finally settled on an idea from Mandi over at Vintage Revivals. I didn't know if Barclay would go for it, because I think his parents taught him not to draw on the walls when he was a kid, but to my sweet surprise he was right on board.

And so it was that we spent yesterday afternoon drawing on the Boring Wall, which now needs to be renamed. Because we're adults, but we can't afford designer wallpaper. We can, however, easily afford a $3 paint pen. 

I'll show you the finished product soon; I'm really, really loving it. (I almost got out of bed last night at 3 AM to go look at it, but then I fell back asleep.) 

Cheers to adulthood! To paint pens and to Mandi! 

12 comments:

Niken said...

can't wait to see the finish product. if i could draw, i would definitely paint my walls

Ashlee said...

Um, this looks amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product! Happy new year friend!

Nova said...

Awesome!! I want to see it!

Jen Wilson said...

It looks fantastic from here!

Suzy Krause said...

that's the best part--this project requires literally no artistic skill--just the ability to use a level/ruler!!! do it...

Suzy Krause said...

i will show you soon! i'm loving it...
happy new year back!!

Suzy Krause said...

i'll post finished product pictures soon. everyone should draw ALL OVER THEIR HOUSES.

Suzy Krause said...

thanks jen! :D

Megs said...

I can't wait to see the finished product because just this picture looks amazing!

Suzy Krause said...

aw thanks! i'll probably post it this week sometime... :)

JTay said...

I love it!! If I had the money I'd totally want to buy some beautiful wallpaper… but a little voice in the back of my head reminds me people used to pay me to draw on their walls. Granted, I wouldn't pay me to draw on my walls. At least not if it had anything to do with Winnie the Pooh, or the Detroit Red Wings, or those things I painted on their walls. THIS, however, looks like it will be amazing. Probably because of the lack of Winnie the Pooh.

Suzy Krause said...

oh man, if i'd known winnnie the pooh was an option... ;)
i'd still pay you to draw on my walls.