Monday, July 28, 2014

{that movie}


When I was a kid, we had this movie that we'd taped off of TV that I watched over and over like a crazy person. I don't remember the name of the movie or what it was about, just that it was sad all the way through and then happy at the very, very, very end when somebody (a little girl maybe? With her dad?) floated off in a hot air balloon.  One day, because it had to happen sometime, somebody taped over the first half of the movie. I didn't care. I still watched the last half of the movie repeatedly, even though it didn't make a lot of sense without the first half.

The point was that it made me feel infinitely sad and irreparably broken, and then everything was fixed, and I got the feeling that the hot air balloon ride was what had fixed the unfixable thing. I'd describe it better, but all I can remember are the feelings. Which are, of course, the most important part of a movie anyway.

I'm not sure where that VHS ended up, and I haven't seen it in years, but every time I see a hot air balloon I think about it the way you'd think about something that had actually happened to you, not just something that had happened on half of a made-for-TV movie you taped off of CBS when you were eight. 

We saw this one last night on our way into town from the lake. Oh, my heart. If anyone even has a guess at what movie it might have been, with a little girl and a dad and hot air balloons at the very end, you should definitely let me know. I'll be indebted to you for at least a year or two.


16 comments:

Amy M. said...

beautiful photos Suzy! I sure wish that I knew because I have a feeling I might like that movie too.
- Quiet Light Blog

Jen Glen said...

Unbelievable pictures! I'd blow the first one up and hang it on my wall!

Elise said...

My brother and I did that too, so I'm dying to know what your movie is, that would drive me nuts! :)

sarahannnoel said...

Oh my word, these pictures take my breath away! (Maybe I once saw this movie and it's trapped in my subconscious?!)

the best part of my day... said...

Damn! I wish I knew, Suzy. My sister is really good with kind of stuff.
I'll ask her...stay tuned..

Suzy Krause said...

Aw, thank you! If I remember the name of it, I'll let you know.
Sadly, I don't foresee that happening. :(

Suzy Krause said...

Thanks! I'll email it to you if you want? :)

Suzy Krause said...

It IS!!!!
I'M DYINGGGGGGG.

Suzy Krause said...

Aw, thank you!

If your subconscious remembers any time soon, LET ME KNOW PLEASE.

Suzy Krause said...

I'm waiting with everything crossed.

Sarah said...

Night Crossing? It doesn't entirely match your description but it's incredibly sad, about the right age and ends with a hot air balloon journey to freedom: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082810/

Caitlin said...

It makes me think of the ending to "Phantom Tollbooth" but I don't think they fly off in a hot air balloon. My sisters and I have tons of those movies we watched over and over again and they can never remember them so they always call me. haha!

Suzy Krause said...

definitely not the right movie, but now i want to see that one too....

Suzy Krause said...

i've never seen that one--off to look it up.

Mama Milly said...

these pictures look like something you would draw for an iPhone case!

Suzy Krause said...

I wish I could've accurately captured exactly what it looked like...it was SO DANG BEAUTIFUL.