Sunday, March 08, 2015

No Happy Birthday

The show last night (Dan Mangan + Blacksmith, Hayden, and Astral Swans) was incredible. I have a lot to say about it, but not right now - or today at all, probably. It's Sunday, and it's nap time, and I have a cup of coffee on the go and some heavy-duty relaxing to get up to.

However, I can't wait until tomorrow to share this one thing. It was my favourite moment of the night, and one of the most moving and beautiful moments I've ever witnessed at a live show. Ever. (I'm a fan of hyperbole, you know that, but I'm not employing it right now.)

About halfway through Hayden's set, his band left the stage and he stood there with his acoustic guitar and talked about his daughter, who has a developmental disorder and is completely nonverbal. He spoke about how their house is always full of music, how he plays and sings for her, how her favourite song is Happy Birthday and that this next song he's going to play now is one he wrote for her.

I doubt there was a dry eye in the house as he played (and if there was, my eyes were wet enough to make up for it). The song didn't feel like part of the show. I guess because for that couple of minutes, with his eyes closed and his voice breaking, he wasn't playing for us, he was playing for her, and I felt incredibly lucky to witness it.



I've been waiting, I've been thinking
I've been wanting to sing you this song
I know you may not understand my thoughts
But you will know where it's coming from
Grab your guitar and your maraca
Play with me on your wooden drum
It's no Happy Birthday, but it's my way
Maybe one day you'll sing along

As you go through life, they may be unkind
And I won't always be there by your side
That's on my mind, yeah that's on my mind
That's on my mind almost all of the time

We're always walking in the morning
You look up with your beautiful stare
And you start talking, there's no stopping
You say so much you run out of air
And then we're running to tell your mom and
We never make it back to our street
That's where I wake up, always the same spot
My heart singing a song so sweet

As you go through life, you will bring such light
That's how I picture it most of the time
That's how my mind, yeah that's how my mind
That's how my mind keeps my heart in line

Grab your guitar and your maraca

Play with me on your wooden drum
It's no Happy Birthday, but it's my way
Maybe one day you'll sing along

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

What a heartbreaking story, but such a sweet song. <3

Unknown said...

awwww!