Thursday, April 09, 2015

Hello, How Are You? Like Your Shoes, Love Your Hair


You know what wakes you up faster than coffee in the morning? Rash decisions, instantaneous regret, and self-loathing.

(But coffee with a little cream definitely goes down smoother.)

I mean, I was still half asleep this morning when I chopped all that hair off. Half asleep. But you know when you get a little hair cut and then you're like, "More! Shorter! Balder! Faster!"? Anybody?

Anyway. It's mostly Barclay's fault, because when he knocked on the bathroom door and I shouted, "Just a second, I'm cutting my haaaaaaiiiiiirrrrrr," he should have busted in, tackled me, wrestled the scissors from my stupid hands and cut them off.

Sheesh, Barclay.

You thought I was going to post a picture, didn't you? One of those, "Go on, tell me how bad it looks (but don't actually give me your real opinion just say I'd look beautiful even if I cut my hair with a butter knife)." But no. I'm not. I'm going to maintain the teeniest shred of decency and withhold the post-hack-job-selfie (which does exist, incidentally).

In fact, I wasn't even going to write about this at all, but then I realized that I'd have to see people in person sooner or later. And I didn't want to have that conversation:

"Oh! You got...a hair cut...?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, who...is your hairdresser?" (Because it sounds rude to outright say, "Did you hack that up yourself?")

"I don't go to a hairdresser because I've decided to needlessly punish myself for every wrong thing I've ever done in my whole life by having horrible haircuts from here on out."

And then the gushing, "Oh! No, that's not what I meant; it looks so good!/I could never do that!/You could cut your hair with a butter knife and you'd still look fab."

I implode in the face of gushing. My brain turns to cream corn and I just start saying 'no' over and over.

So here is the plan, for those of you reading who know me in real life: When you see me, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MY HAIR. DO NOT. NOTHING. DO NOT WANT. Don't say, "You got bangs!" or, "I was expecting so much worse! That actually looks good!" Don't say, "Oh yeah, you messed up." Don't say, "So, I read your blog post about your haircut..."

You can say this: "Hi, Suzy. How was your week? What music are you listening to these days? Do you just love love love vacations? Let's talk about volcanoes."

Or something like that. Thanks, guys. I owe you. 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha...this has happened before, and you always look great (complete honesty here...so don't argue with me). I think you should just send me a picture since I know you in real life but I live too freakin far away! Yes? Yes. Ok, I'm glad we settled that!

Anonymous said...

Oh that Volcano over there looks awesome!!! <3

Caitlin said...

Volcanoes are great. Isn't it funny that someone who studies volcanoes is called a "volcanologist," which sounds like Vulcanologist?

Anonymous said...

well, I don't know you in real life, so I can say something, right? I got a haircut two weeks ago. and it looks like an accident with a butter knife too. just that I PAID for it. how is that? I win! don't you think?

Nova said...

Oh girl, I have cut my own bangs so ridiculously short and crooked a hundred times. And everybody says something. The good thing is it'll grow, just wear hats or something for a couple months.

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha this HAS happened before. this happens once about every three years, and every time i say, "I hate myself with bangs. why did i do this? never again."

and here we are...

Suzy Krause said...

i got 15 text messages about volcanoes the day that i posted this! haha!

Suzy Krause said...

it is funny. what do they call a person who studies vulcans?

Suzy Krause said...

sad!! it IS so much worse when you've paid for it. you win. i'm sorry. :(

Suzy Krause said...

that's just the thing though - my plan has actually worked. i went to a thing the night after i wrote this and nobody mentioned my bangs. they didn't even look at me funny. it was incredible. i'm going to do this every time i get a haircut from now on (warn everyone via blog not to say anything about it). because hands down the worst part about getting any drastic hair cut is when people point it out in front of other people. yuck.