Thursday, April 16, 2015

rogue hairs and peanut butter


Barclay had to go to Saskatoon this week for work stuff, and Van and I went with him because we are needy and clingy and also we like road trips. 

Or, you know, we thought we did. 

We haven't really done much for travelling since Van was seven months old and we went to Seattle for my Grandpa's wedding, and back then he didn't have any kind of sleep schedule (or if he did, it was: sleep sometimes but mostly don't bother). Sleep schedules are great and all, but they're about as sturdy as cookies and ancient ruins. Sullivan sleeps now, but only if you put him in bed at the exact right moment (when he's tired enough but not too tired) and only if you put him in bed at a place he's comfortable with and only if it's dark and only if there's music and only if the temperature is just so and only if his stomach is full and only if you stand on your head and recite the recipe for  blueberry scones backwards in a Swedish accent. It's ridiculous. 

So we got to the hotel at midnight on Sunday and tried to make him go to sleep in a warm, strange room with a bright streetlight shining in through the sheer curtains and he was like, "OH NO OH NO WHERE AM I?"

And I was all shushy and mothery and I stroked his hair and said, "Chill out, baby, we're in Saskatoon." 

And he was like, "I'M NOT SURE IF YOU SAID 'SASKATOON' OR IF YOU SAID 'WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE SOON." That is to say, he screamed bloody murder at me for two straight hours.

We had booked a hotel with a suite so we could put Sullivan's crib in his own room (because he won't go to sleep if there are other people in the room with him, that's the one I forgot above), but when we got there the guy was like, "No, 'suite' refers to the fact that there is a chair and a fridge." 

Barclay mentioned that he'd thought maybe 'suite' meant more than one room, and the guy said, "Well I've never heard of that. Usually 'suite' just means chair and fridge." 

(I just looked up 'suite' in the dictionary, and the first definition starts off: 'a set of rooms...")

We weren't mad though, because it was midnight and we were tired and we knew we could deal. But then when we got into the little fridge chair room (which I refuse to refer to as a suite) there was hair in the bed and in the shower and in the sink and on the toilet and on the floor. Hair, in short, everywhere. Yuck. 

Anyway. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but we did spend a bit of time in the hallway drinking coffee while Sullivan attempted to sleep in our hairy fridge chair room. Which I actually enjoyed in a strange I've-never-had-coffee-here-before kind of way.



The rest of the week was a lot of wandering around parks and malls and shops with Sullivan (who has become an excellent wanderer) and visiting with my sisters (I have two in the city) and one of my high school friends who I don't get to see that often. This bit was well worth the rogue hairs and the all-night cry sessions. 


And last night, Barclay got off work and we hit up the Broadway Cafe, one of my favourite spots when I used to live in Saskatoon, for greasy diner burgers. (Sullivan, however, had toast with peanut butter on it. And by 'had toast with peanut butter', I really mean that he used the toast as a peanut butter holder. He started out by dipping his finger in the peanut butter and discreetly licking it off, but by the end of the meal, somehow, there was peanut butter everywhere. No, I mean everywhere. Like, if you were allergic to peanuts and happened to be within a three block radius of the restaurant, you'd be dead. We cleaned up after ourselves as well as we could and made sure to leave an excellent tip.)


And now, I'm in my living room at home and Sullivan is laying on the floor surrounded by his books begging me with his puppy dog eyes to never take him out of the house again. And I am tempted to make rash promises. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how, but you make motherhood sound fabulous, and coming from me, that means something!!!

Unknown said...

I MISS S'TOON!!!! I've told, like, 5 people (one of them happens to be an individual who currently lives in Saskatoon) about the Echo Spot, and no one believes me! It's sad. Also, Broadway Cafe...mmmm!!! Also, Badword Jacks...mmmm!!!! Also, Cirque du Soleil...hahaha! Also...I miss our adventures!

Jen Glen said...

Ugh!! Hotel rooms with babies!! Oh man, we've had our share of those scream-for-two-hours-for-no- reason nights! And the whole time you just feel so guilty and hope that your screaming child is not keeping the entire floor awake! I love that you two hung out in the hallway to try and get him to go to sleep! That's awesome! Craig and I have laid in bed in the dark at 8pm watching Netflix on our laptop turned away from the other bed with the volume at the lowest point possible so that our boys would hopefully fall asleep! Needless to say, I've turned down my fair share of trips away b/c I hate doing hotel rooms with little ones!! Completely understand the "no place like home"! ;)

Nova said...

I just spent the first half of this post wondering who "Van" is and why I didn't know you had two babies. hahaha

Suzy Krause said...

Hahahaha, that was probably the last thing I thought anyone would take away from this post! (Disclaimer: I do love being a mom. Just, it's hard to travel with babies.)

Suzy Krause said...

You desperately need to come here and have more adventures with me. LIKE NOW.

Suzy Krause said...

Yup. It's not an easy stage for travelling! Sigh. But being home now feels soooo good.

Suzy Krause said...

Ha! And why we named one Van and one Sullivan? What is wrong with these people?

Unknown said...

Oh my... This made me laugh. I think it was the build up of hair, and fridge chairs and a small, anxious child that did it for me, although it might not have been quite so funny for you at the time. At least you all got home in one piece, if a little sleep deprived? --
http://aminorityofonelunacy.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Although quite a large portion of this probably wasn't amusing for you, it was quite funny to read I have to admit! Particularly the peanut butter experience haha. Glad you still managed to have a good time despite the hairy non-suite suite and the large amounts of baby crying!