Monday, September 19, 2016

My Friend

There's a cashier at our neighbourhood grocery store who Barclay and I affectionately refer to as 'My Friend.' We call him that because that's what he calls us. I suspect it's what he calls everyone, but it's still nice. He's here today—he's here every day, no matter what time I come.

I'm buying eggs and cream and avocados. I pick My Friend's line-up, like I always do if I have a choice. I wonder if he knows I do this? Is it weird? 

He's chatting up an old woman, who is absolutely loving him. She only has a few things too, and he sends her on her way with, "You have a good day, my friend!" And then it's my turn. 

"Well, hello, my friend! How are you today?"

"I'm good, how're you?" I return, smiling.

"Oh, I'm doin' just fine, like always - you know me, my friend, there is absolutely nothin' wrong here. Got big plans for the rest of your lovely Sunday morning?"

"No, not really." I laugh. I'm not trying to be stilted in my conversation, I'm just literally going home to fry these eggs - but my answer delights him. 

"Good. Good! Dick Tracy! Watch Dick Tracy. You'll love Dick Tracy. You've got Warren Beatty, you've got Madonna, you've got Al Pacino - you like Al Pacino? Of course you do. Who doesn't? If you like Al Pacino, you'll like Dick Tracy." He gives a definitive nod. There are no spaces between his sentences.

There is an older gentleman standing behind me in line. He looks bored. His eyes are a quarter of the way shut. His gut is hanging over his belt and he's hunched forward. He's buying four microwave dinners.  But at the mention of Dick Tracy, he springs to life. He lurches toward the conveyor belt and slams his fist down, yelling, "I WANT DICK TRACY DEAD!" 

My Friend's face cracks into a wide smile. 

(Aside: this is the second time I've seen My Friend smile. The first was a few months ago when my grocery bill added up to exactly $23.19. He hit the button on the cash register and said to me, "Okay, your total is...$23.19. OH MY GOODNESS. I have been waiting my entire career for this moment. TWENTY-THREE NINETEEN! WE HAVE A TWENTY-THREE NINETEEN! RED ALERT! RED ALERT!" He shouted it. People were staring. It was a Monsters Inc. reference. I didn't think to tell him in that moment that the kid on my hip was named Sully. I should have.)

My Friend also slams his fist onto the counter in front of him, and echoes the old man. "I WANT DICK TRACY DEAD!" They both give a couple extra fist slams and exchange knowing glances, sharing a common bond across a several-decade age gap.

The old man settles back down into his hunchstance and his bushy eyebrows descend, again, down his forehead. "Haven't seen it," he says gruffly.

Anyway. I didn't end up watching Dick Tracy that morning, simply because I don't have it and don't know where to get it. But the point is that if you hate grocery shopping, you should call me up and I'll give you the name of my place. I'll hook you up. You'll start to look forward to it.

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sigh. People who are kind and wonderful just because totally make my day. Although I don't technically have a friend, for a while there I too chose a specific line at the grocery store because the cashier was so friendly.

Anonymous said...

Haha, you have the best stories and meet the best people. I have to watch Dick Tracy now, I'm intrigued...

Suzy Krause said...

Cashiers have no idea the power they hold over other peoples' day!
Actually, that's probably true of all of us...

Suzy Krause said...

I am also intrigued! I'm going to keep an eye out for it at the thrift store from now on. I assume it's on VHS...

Jen Glen said...

Dick Tracy was a big deal back in the day! It was the brand new way of filming they did, or something like that. Madonna was really bad in it...just saying.
And I have a favourite cashier at Value Village too...she literally makes me smile and want to have a conversation with her, which is saying a lot because I'm usually a no-nonsense kind of customer. Again...your life...the people you meet...the things that happen to you...you're a magnet!

Suzy Krause said...

Hahahaha - well I'm excited to experience it. We looked up a trailer on YouTube when we got home. It looks so 90s. Which is great.

Carmen said...

I love that guy! Even if his line is the longest, I go to his till.
-Carmen

Suzy Krause said...

I really love that you know who I'm talking about. I want to hear everyone's him stories.

Unknown said...

Hi. I’m Ethan’s mom. I just ran across this a year after the CBC recognition.
I wanted to say “thank you” for writing this. Aside from swelling with pride, it is wonderful to know that things taught, stick. He’s so low- key and unassuming that I knew nothing of the interview “happening” until a co-worker mentioned it. It is so important to encourage one another, even if it’s with just a smile. I
am honored you have recognized this in my “baby-man”. God bless.

Suzy Krause said...

Aw, what a lovely surprise to hear from you! Your son is so amazing. I saw him on his last day at Mike's and he came over to say goodbye to me (I've never had a cashier do this before). On my way out the door I passed another employee and mentioned that I was sad to see him go and she burst into tears and began telling me what an amazing employee and friend he was to everyone he worked with and served. I'm happy to know him and hope to run into him again, even if he's not working at my grocery store anymore. :)